Capital detail, U.S. Custom House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The U.S. Custom House in Philadelphia, a federal building project of the Depression era, was begun in December 1932. It is distinguished by richness of materials, quality of design, and by an interior mural program by a major local artist, Brandywine School artist George Harding. Ritter & Shay, one of the most prominent architectural firms in Philadelphia, gave the new building classical details in its exterior and interior. This column capital is one of eight on serpentine marble columns supporting the dome of the building's three-story rotunda.
No known restrictions on publication in the U.S. Use elsewhere may be restricted by other countries' laws. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions ...,"(http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html)
Second and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia, PA
Highsmith, Carol M. (American photographer, born 1946); Ritter and Shay, Architects, “Capital detail, U.S. Custom House, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed November 21, 2017, http://classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/455.