The late theatre in Chestnut Street, Philadelphia. Destroy'd by Fire in 1820
The first Chestnut Street Theater, built in 1791 and remodeled by Benjamin Latrobe in 1805, stood at the NW corner of 6th and Chestnut Streets. Originally called the New Theatre, it was built for the acting company of Thomas Wignell and Alexander Reinagle. This building saw productions of Addison's Cato (1800) and William Whitehead's (1712-1785) The Roman Father, which was performed on December 23, 1799, as part of a tribute to President George Washington, who had died ten days earlier.
No known restrictions on publication in the U.S. Use elsewhere may be restricted by other countries' laws. For general information see "Copyright and Other Restrictions ...,"(http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/195_copr.html)
Birch, William Russell (British printmaker and miniaturist active in United States, 1755-1834), “The late theatre in Chestnut Street, Philadelphia. Destroy'd by Fire in 1820,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed January 23, 2019, http://classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/467.