Pegasus with Calliope
1861, installed 1876
One of a pair; designed for the Imperial Opera House in Vienna; briefly installed on that building, but thought to be out of scale and taken down. Bought by Philadelphian Robert Gratz who gave it to the Fairmount Park Commission, they were set up in front of Memorial Hall for the Centennial Exposition of 1876.
Ralph Lieberman: Architectural Photography
Memorial Hall, Philadelphia PA.
Pilz, Vincenz (Austrian sculptor, 1816-1896), “Pegasus with Calliope,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed August 17, 2018, http://classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/479.