Pegasus with Erato

1861, installed 1876

One of a pair; designed for the Imperial Opera House in Vienna; briefly installed on that building, but thought to be out of scale and taken down. Bought by Philadelphian Robert Gratz who gave them to the Fairmount Park Commission, they were set up in front of Memorial Hall for the Centennial Exposition of 1876.

Source

Ralph Lieberman: Architectural Photography

Rights

Ralph Lieberman

Coverage

Memorial Hall, Philadelphia PA

Format

Pilz, Vincenz (Austrian sculptor, 1816-1896), “Pegasus with Erato,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed November 18, 2017, http://classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/480.