Stephen Girard Building (Girard Trusts Building) from NE
The thirteen story Stephen Girard Building at Girard and 12th Streets was begun in 1896 as offices for the Board of the Stephen Girard Estates Trust. The new building was designed by James H. Windrim, a Girard College graduate. Windrim combined classical motifs, like the Ionic portico and entablature facing 12th Street and the eight caryatids flanking the entrance, with the latest "skyscraper" construction. The building opened on December 18, 1897 and the Board moved in on November 21, 1898. The architect's rendering and early photographs show balconies at the eleventh floor on the N and W façades
Lee T. Pearcy
Original photograph © Lee T. Pearcy 2015. This image may be freely reproduced without permission for non-commercial educational, literary, or scientific purposes. For all other uses, request permission from Classicizing Philadelphia, email@example.com. Because this image is freely available for non-commercial use, Classicizing Philadelphia disclaims any liability for any use of this image. This image has been selected and made available by an institutional user of the ARTstor Digital Library using ARTstor's software tools. ARTstor has not pre-screened or selected this image, and therefore disclaims any liability for any use of this image. Should you have any legal objection to the use of this image, please notify ARTstor's Contact for Legal Notices.
21 South 12th St., Philadelphia, PA
Windrim, James H. (American architect, 1840-1919), “Stephen Girard Building (Girard Trusts Building) from NE,” Classicizing Philadelphia, accessed January 20, 2018, http://classicizingphiladelphia.org/items/show/482.